[IBIS] RE: [ibis-macro] IBIS-ISS Package Modeling Next Steps

From: Muranyi, Arpad <Arpad_Muranyi@mentor.com>
Date: Tue Aug 07 2012 - 19:18:12 PDT

Walter,

I would like to comment on your presentation given today in
the ATM teleconference. I have lots of comments, and I think
writing them up in just one email would be too confusing, so
I will probably write several emails on this topic.

Continuing the discussion we had at the end of the meeting,
I am still not sure I understand the reason we need special
purpose syntax in the specification for specific circumstances,
such as "victim model" or "NEXT/FEXT".

I understand that, for example, in the "victim model" only the
victim channel is useful for real analysis and the other paths
are only there to provide coupling/noise on the victim, but I
don't think this is a good reason to have a different syntax to
instantiate and/or connect these types of models.

Also, in our discussion this was contrasted with the "interface
model" which is supposedly useful for real analysis on all of
its channels. I would question whether this statement is actually
true. An interface model is still only a quadrant or slice of
the full model, and as such it is still missing coupling at its
boundaries, which makes the channels near the boundaries only as
good as the aggressor channels of the "victim model". In other
words, I don't see any difference between the victim model and
the interface model, other than the latter might be larger than
the former.

For this reason, I don't think that adding the special purpose
"victim model" syntax to the specification would make the
specification more useful. We might consider adding some
parameters to indicate which of the channels/paths/ports/terminals,
etc... of a given slice model is useful for what purpose, but that's
as far as I would go.

This should be enough for this email. More to come later...

Thanks,

Arpad