Re: [IBIS-Users] More convenient IBIS editor?

Subject: Re: [IBIS-Users] More convenient IBIS editor?
From: Al Davis (aldavis@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 00:36:28 PST

I am not aware of any, but I have a partially working IBIS to Spice
converter, which I eventually intend to release as part of Gnucap,
under GPL, as soon as it is mature enough to be actually useful.

The relevance here is that it contains a parser and some other useful
utilities. I have looked at what is expected for a reasonable IBIS
development system. As a minimum, I would want to be able to view
and manipulate the waveforms and their derivatives graphically. Such
a program should be easy to do, about the level of a good senior
project for a team of maybe 3 computer science students. I see it as
being done as a wrapper for some free tools that already exist.
(gnuplot, octave, gnucap, a drawing program, ...) If someone
(perhaps a student or group of students) volunteers to take this on,
and agrees to release the software under GPL, I will release what I
have to that person and work with him/her to make such an "editor".

The licensing on the existing "golden parser" has been a barrier to
this. It is available cheap to those developing closed-source
commercial software, but not available at all for free and
open-source development.