RE: [IBIS] [IBIS-Users] How to describe the differential pair in EBD?

From: Flora, Matthew <matthew_flora_at_.....>
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 09:01:34 PST
Dear Young-Seok Hong,

I am no expert, but as it appears that you haven't received a response to your
question yet, I'll try to answer it for you.

As you noticed, the Electrical Board Description format does not support
'loops'.  If the loop contains a passive component, then the loop may be
"broken" (effectively removed) by replacing the passive component with a
reference to an IBIS model of the passive component.  (The loop is broken
because the path description itself or a fork within the path description will
end at the reference to the IBIS model.)

Also, the Electrical Board Description format considers all lumped capacitance
to be a description of a capacitor to ground.

So, in your specific example, you must replace C1 with an IBIS model of a
capacitor.  You could also replace R1 with an IBIS model of a resistor, but
that is optional.  If you just replace the capacitor with an IBIS model of the
capacitor, then your path description would look like:

Pin 1 -----Length a -----R1.1 -----Length b -----Node C1.1 -----Length c -----Node U1.1

Pin 2 -----Length d -----R1.2 -----Length e -----Node C1.2 -----Length f -----Node U1.2

  [Path Description]

  Pin1

  Len a /

    Fork

    Len b /

    Node C1.1

    Len c /

    Node U1.1

    Endfork

  len R1 /

    Fork

    Len e /

    Node C1.2

    Len f /

    Node U1.2

    Endfork

  Len d /

  Pin 2

If your were to also replace R1 with an IBIS model of the resistor, then you
would end up with two completely separate path descriptions, one for external
pin 1 and another for external pin 2.

Best regards,
Matthew Flora