RE: SE and diff drivers on same pin

From: Matthew Flora <mbflora@hyperlynx.com>
Date: Wed May 05 1999 - 03:08:50 PDT

Dear Larry, Arpad,

>It seems to me that you would like to use the [Model Selector] to be able to
>switch between the differential and single ended mode of the buffer. You
>are right, this would only be possible if the [Diff Pin] keyword (or a
>similar) function could be inside the [Model Selector]. Unfortunately this
>can't be done currently. I would suggest to use the comment character before
>the line that defines the pins of interest as differential in the [Diff Pin]
>section for the single ended mode, and no comment character for the
>differential mode.

As annoying as it is to build two separate models, I would advocate doing that
rather than commenting out various sections of the model depending on what
"mode" the user desires.

Would you, as a user, like being forced to modify a model file in order to use
it? Sounds tedious and "unfriendly". In my experience, many of the folks
using IBIS models know nothing about IBIS (and don't necessarily want to if
they don't have to).

I realize the maintenance burden goes up having to support two models, even if
they are in the same file. But consider that the maintenance burden affects
only a couple of people in your organization for a limited time, while
potentially hundreds of users would be saved having to edit the model file(s),
perhaps multiple times each. Remember that your models are likely to be in
use in the field much, much longer than it takes you to build/maintain them.

Regards,
Matthew Flora
Senior Engineer
HyperLynx
(425) 869-2320 PH
(425) 881-1008 FAX
mbflora@hyperlynx.com
17641 NE 67th Court, Redmond, WA 98052 USA