Re: Librarian Proposal

From: Randolph E. <randyh@Synopsys.COM>
Date: Wed Jul 20 1994 - 17:33:07 PDT

Sorry I missed the meeting. Would this involve taking over the reflector
also, providing email archive access, and public dial-in phone access? If
so, it sounds like you are volunteering to take over all the activities
regarding IBIS from the vhdl.org machine. Not a problem, just trying to
understand the thought process.

IBIS is in the top three groups of the most accessed set of files on the
vhdl.org machine. A majority of the accesses are via anonymous FTP. The
next largest set is via the email archive mechanism. Public dial-up comes
in 3rd or 4th with gopher and WWW/Mosaic/HTTP being last (HTTP mostly
because our server is not well linked in to the WWW lists yet.). To see
more info, look at the monthly logs in /vi/misc on the vhdl.org machine.
The files are named "stat.MMMYYYY" where MMM is the month and YYYY the year.

At 04:51 PM 7/20/94 EDT, mbs@eos.ncsu.edu wrote:

>As discussed in the last IBIS Open Forum Call (on July 15) I raised the
>suggestion that NCSU could act as the IBIS librarian and a proposal was
>requested. Here it is.
>

> IBIS LIBRARIAN PROPOSAL
>
>The Electronics Research Laboratory in the Department of Electrical and
>Computer Engineering at North Carolina State University proposes to
>maintain the IBIS library and act as the IBIS librarian.
>
>1. An IBIS mosaic home page. A temporary page has been created and
> can be accessed by selecting
> North Carolina State University
> College of Engineering
> Departments and Programs
> Electrical and Computer Engineering
> ECE Department Research Centers
> Electronics Research Laboratory
> IBIS
>
> The URL is http://www2.ncsu.edu/eos/project/erl_html/erl_ibis.html
>
> It is very unlikely that this address will change so feel free
> to link to it.
>
>2. An IBIS anonymous ftp site. basically everything available through mosaic
> will be on the ftp site (most of the files will be identical).
> The address is ftp.eos.ncsu.edu The directory will be pub/ibis
>
>3. The library will contain IBIS models that have been validated by the
> IBIS librarian. Models are valid if they they can be parsed (without
> error) by the Golden Parser.
>
>4. The library will contain source code such as the Spice-to-IBIS code
> and other bits and pieces currently maintained on vhdl.org:/pub/ibis
>
>5. The librarian will be Michael Steer (Associate Professor, Department of
> Electrical and Computer Engineering, NCSU --- phone +1-919-515-5191,
> fax +1-919-515-3027, email mbs@ncsu.edu)
>
>6. We will seek US government funds to support activities such as
> Spice-to-IBIS for IBIS2.0 .
> (The development of Spice-to-IBIS for IBIS1.1 was supported by ARPA.)
>
>7. The server will be run at no charge. Eventually, if the space utilized
> grows to 500 MB+ or if the traffic becomes enormous we expect to acquire
> government funding to provide a dedicated server and disk space.
>
>Running an IBIS server and functioning as librarian fits in well
>with our CAD benchmarking activities. We welcome the opportunity to
>participate and contribute.
>

>Michael Steer
>mbs@ncsu.edu

Randolph E. (randy) Harr