RE: IBIS MINUTES 12/01/95

From: Herrmann Hank <hank.herrmann@amp.com>
Date: Wed Dec 06 1995 - 07:43:00 PST

Thank you for your observation and question.

My concept of "unmated" is that the model should be self-sufficient (i.e.,
work properly without extra 'patches and band aids' and have connections at
one side only. So it would look like this ...

     Board1--> conn_model (unmated)

There would be no additional load required outside of the model.

For SPICE type simulators there may have to be some standard DC path, or
'assumed load' to enable an unmated connector model to function properly.
 That would not likely be required by most models, however, because there
would already be the necessary DC paths to satisfy SPICE within the model
itself or the bus. A standard load may be something that should be defined
for stand-off type stacking connectors that are long relative to the models'
minimum applicable edge rate.

At this point I have only proposed, for consideration, the concept of both
mated and unmated connector models as opposed to a mated model with an
interface connection such as is proposed in BIRD 31. Many details need to
be worked out until that is finally accomplished if the concept is
acceptable to everyone.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

 Hank