Re: Quest for IBIS models

From: Arpad Muranyi <Arpad_Muranyi@ccm.fm.intel.com>
Date: Thu Feb 09 1995 - 13:14:03 PST

Text item:

Greg,

Most vendors are reluctant to give out SPICE models even if they have it (and
regardless that SPICE has been around for about 20 years), becuase those kind of
models give away all their secrets. You should have better luck in pursuading
them to make IBIS models, because those are accurate, but still safe regarding
propriatary material.

Even though there are not many models on vhdl.org, we are hoping to get more and
more companies to start making models. In order to achieve this goal, we need
people like you (who need models) to contact IC manufacturers and express your
needs. It is a painful process, but demand drives market.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation

I took a peek into /pub/ibis/models the other day and found only
a small collection of models for Intel's CPUs and chip sets.
Am I correct in assuming that in order to procure IBIS models
for the parts on my board design, I will either have to

a. go to the mfgr's rep, or
b. buy a library from someone like Zeelan?

Have any of you found manufacturers yet who know what IBIS models
are? I'm having a hard time trying to explain what SPICE models
are, much less get them in my greedy hands. And SPICE has been
around a LONG time. I'm just wondering how far we are along the
road toward creating an information exchange which is beneficial
to the engineer and does not give the manufacturer a migraine
and/or keep their lawyers up at night.

Thanks in advance.

--
Greg Edlund                +----+----+    "Years ago my mother would say to me,
Circuits and Modeling      |    |    |    'Elwood-' she always called me Elwood.