Re[4]: How to spawn a new newsgroup

From: Will Hobbs <Will_Hobbs@ccm2.jf.intel.com>
Date: Tue Feb 28 1995 - 10:22:30 PST

Text item:

IBIS-folk,

I rarely read net news (~once a year), so I'm passing this info on. I
requested information from our network people at Intel on how to spawn a new
newsgroup and got the following information. Would someone like to do this
on Internet? I propose the group be named something like
omp.simulation.ibis. There may be a more appropriate parent group than
comp.simulation, but I couldn't find one in my .newsrc. Any takers?

Will

Usually you get on news.groups and post an article such as:

Subject: CFV: Proposed group comp.blue.plastic.widgets

Call For Votes for the new comp.blue.plastic.widgets is now open.

This group would discuss....

The reasons why this topic deserves its own newsgroup is....

To register your vote, send E-mail with the word "YES" or "NO" and your
mail address to: whobbs@ichips.intel.com

Then you can post articles in related newsgroups pointing people to the CFV
in news.groups (or cross-post the CFV article) so all the right people notice
and can discuss (in news.groups) the relative merits of the new group.

You should tally up the votes (keeping the e-mail addresses of each voter and
how he/she voted in case you're asked). If you get at least 100 more yes
votes than no votes, the netiquette rules say the group can be created;
otherwise there was not enough interest to justify the bandwidth.

--steve

Text item: External Message Header