Re: Clarifing example for Packaging EGG

From: C. Kumar <cpk@cadence.com>
Date: Mon May 08 1995 - 07:26:56 PDT

I thank Jon for the quick response. Let me make my arguements clearer.

The arguements John put forward are precisely the ones which the spice subcircuit defintions solve in a clean and elegant fashion . A subcircuit defintion is highly flexible. It can be designed for any LEVEL of granularity. A subcircuit can represent single pins as well as any ARBITRARY grouping of pins. A package model may consists of a COLLECTON of these subcircuits.

Say in Jon's example PIN 1 and 2 are uncoupled while 3 and 4 are coupled.
Then the package subcircuits may have the form.

.subckt pin1defintion buf1 pin1
..
.ends

.subckt pin2defintion buf2 pin2
..
.ends

.subckt pin3pin4defintion buf3 buf 4 pin3 pin4

.ends

There is nothing in these subcircuit defintions which "demands" the
simulation of all 28 pins.

The role of IBIS may then be to offer GUIDELINES as to the granularity and the
number of subcircuits that should represent the package model.