Re: connector models

From: John V Fitzpatrick <John.Fitzpatrick@ln.cit.alcatel.fr>
Date: Mon Dec 15 1997 - 05:35:37 PST

All,

Thanks to everyone who replied to my recent message. I was hoping
against hope that my summary was too pessimistic, but it
wasn't.

I attended the Design SuperCon, and remember the heated debates
on matrix formats, definition of the where ground is, etc.
There seemed to be little shortage of energy that day!

I've been thinking a bit about how I characterise connectors for
SI simulation.
Basically, I just do a differential TDR measurement between two
connector pins. This gives me impedance and coupling, plus
lots of hints as to where the discontinuities are.
Then I go build a Spice model of the connector
which gives me the same TDR result in simulation. The detail
of the model depends on the application.

IBIS basic models are measurement based. So I could easily
imagine a basic connector model containing common mode and
differential TDR curves between pairs of points. Because connectors
have a lot of symmetry,2-4 sets of curves should be enough.

[Connector]
InputPinA InputPinB OutputPinA OutputPinB Model

[Model]
Model_type Connector

[Differential TDR]
Time Vtyp Vmax Vmin

[Common Mode TDR]
Time Vtyp Vmax Vmin

Then it would be up to the simulator to create a circuit model based
on the TDR measurements, but that's only software :-)

Bonnes fetes à tous!
(Yes, the French can be politically correct too...)

John

--
John Fitzpatrick   <John.Fitzpatrick@ln.cit.alcatel.fr>
Alcatel Telecom, 4 rue de Broglie, 22304 Lannion, France