Re: connector models

From: Kellee Crisafulli <kellee@hyperlynx.com>
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 11:08:50 PST

Hi John,

At 09:28 AM 12/12/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Are the following statements reasonably truthful?
> - Many attempts have been made to adapt IBIS to
> the creation of connector and cable models. No
> agreed synthax has been found, due mainly to the
> complex nature of coupling.
The problem is just the lack of energy.
We were very close to agreement at last years
Design Super Con. The major problem I saw is that the participants
from the connector companies have not provide enough energy to
get resolution. If one or more connector companies put in even a
small fraction of the energy that an Intel or National Semi puts into
IBIS this would have been completed long ago.

> - Limited connector and cable models are possible with
> IBIS 3.0, using the expanded package model and the new
> series element.
yes

> - There is no medium-term prospect of a better IBIS synthax
I would agree there is no short term prospect. Medium term is
always possible just needs energy from a few good people.
Long term is highly probable

> - Most simulator companies have developed their own
> connector model synthax.
Or they use one of the formats developed by a connector company. However
there is alot to be desired in any format I am currently aware of. This is
one thing that has made it so difficult to accomplish an IBIS standard for connector
modeling. It is easy to agreement on a simple standard for connector models. It was
difficult to get acceptance of that being good enough for a first pass. So rather than
go forward with something basic we got nothing!

of simple starting point. This could have been overcome with a small push from
one or two people after last years Design Super Con. Anyone with some energy to
provide could make the difference on this one. It will take a few months to revive it
though.

Have a great day...
Kellee Crisafulli at HyperLynx
kellee@hyperlynx.com http://www.hyperlynx.com