Re: EIAJ I/O Interface Model

From: Bob Ross <bob@icx.com>
Date: Wed Feb 05 1997 - 16:26:00 PST

Fukuda-san

Thank you very much for your update. I am looking forward to seeing your
proposal.

You ask how we should proceed toward productive cooperation between the
IBIS Open Formum and EIAJ.

My recommendation is that you provide me with an electronic copy of draft
v0.0. I would like permission to be able to either circulate it to the
IBIS Open Forum distribution list and/or to store a copy on the
vhdl.org/pub/ibis directory for public viewing and access. At this time,
without seeing the proposal, I cannot predict how it will be initially
received. My expectation is that the proposal will generate a set of
technical questions which will need clarification, and may possibly raise
issues and challenges. So you may need to be prepared to be responsive
and to either defend or modify your proposal.

The IBIS Open Forum has been in existence since 1993 and has operated through
public discussions. The formal EIA/IBIS Committee membership consists of
23 companies from many of the leading EDA simulator, semiconductor, and user
companies (AMP, Applied Simulation Technology (formally Contec), Cadence,
Cypress, Hewlett Packard, Hyperlynx, Incases, Interconnectix (now with Mentor
Graphics), Meta-Software (now with Avanti), Mitsubishi, Motorola, National
Semiconductor, NCR (formally with ATT), NEC, Quad Design (a Viewlogic company),
Quantic Laboratories, Texas Instruments, Thomson-CSF/SCTF, Unicad (now with
CCT which is part of Cadence), Veribest (formerly from Integraph), VLSI
Technology, and Zuken-Redac). The meeting participation in 1996 in IBIS
activities includes over 75 indivuals from most of the above companies
plus many more, since participation is open to anyone. The IBIS mailing
list contains over 280 names from companies all over the world.

The IBIS Open Forum continues to meet regularly, both via telephone
conference calls and via face-to-face meetings. Like your committee, we are
driven by EDA customer analysis needs and newer Silicon developments, and we
have enhancements to IBIS, either approved or underdevelopment. We also have
extensive package model enhancements related to Pentium Pro hybrid chip
construction and newer ideas, proposals for SIMM modules, proposals for
some buffer complications including multi-staged switched buffers, and
mapping and coupling considerations leading to ground/power bounce analysis.
Your ideas are welcome in these areas because these all represent difficult
and (in our committee) controversial extensions.

While you state there is no overlap, and you stress a relationship with
a Spice style format, we continue to be interested in your ideas. So
we need to see what you have developed before determining whether to
continue independently or to cooperate in some manner.

I would like to know which companies are contributing to your proposal.
Finally, we welcome you or any of your members to participate in the
IBIS Open Forum discussions.

Best Regards,
Bob Ross
IBIS Open Forum Chair
Phone (503) 603-2523, Fax (503) 639-3469
bob@icx.com
Interconnectix, 10220 S.W. Nimbus Ave., K4, Portland, OR 97223