Modelling bus switches and other series elements

From: Chris Reid <chris@icx.com>
Date: Tue Jan 14 1997 - 09:21:00 PST

Hello and happy new year everyone.
I'm glad to have the reflector finally working again.

John Fitzpatrick wrote about modeling series elements in IBIS.
I believe there is a need that IBIS should address on this
issue. However, thinking about it from a simulation vendor's
point of view I think the proposal needs some additional
features.

When the simulation tool builds an electrical model for
a particular network it must include all connections through
series elements. Thus if a large switch is encountered
with many branches then a lot of extra information must be
included in the electrical model. If most of that information
is wasted because, say, only one path through the switch
is actually connected at any one time, then our users will
not be pleased waiting a long time for a simulation result
that should have taken only seconds.

I think John's proposal is good for connections that always
exist, but not, actually, for switches. It needs a bit
more for that.

Chris Reid