Re: Proposed Golden IBIS Parser checks

From: Weston Beal <beal@lisbon.eng.hou.compaq.com>
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 10:22:00 PST

> All,
>
> I'd like to raise for discussion some enhancements I would like to have made
> to the Golden IBIS Parser.
>
> My goal is to elevate the quality of IBIS models being produced by having
> IBISCHK perform additional sanity checks. Many of the enhancements proposed
> below would detect flaws in models which render the model unusable for some
> simulations.
>
> I am proposing that we enhance the Golden IBIS Parser instead of creating a
> separate utility since the Golden IBIS Parser already performs some sanity
> checking and it is already accepted as an authoritative tool. (I have
> actually had some model creators refuse to fix models because "IBISCHK
> doesn't complain".)
>
> Proposed enhancements:

CHOP

These are good points, and if this can be done, I would very much like
the golden parser to generate a warning when the timing reference load
is not specified. I get too many model without the load information,
making them nearly useless for timing verification. Most IBIS authors
leave them out, because they don't know what the parameters are, and
the specification makes them optional (interpreted as "not needed").