RE: True or False?

From: Muranyi, Arpad <arpad.muranyi@intel.com>
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 15:17:00 PDT

Chris,

I don't know what it feels like to be an attorney, because I have never been

one. I wonder about the same question...

Regarding A) The device has a differential input, so I DO HAVE TO use the
             [Diff Pin] keyword. The die has a direct connection between
the
             pads which do the loopback, so I must have a way to describe
the
             series properties of those connections. The only model type
that
             is allowed in the IBIS spec with the series models is the
             "non-sensing" Terminator model type. Do you have a suggestion
for
             how to model this other than the way I did it? I am willing to
             make changes if it makes sense...

Regarding B) I have to make a model now, since the customer wants to use it
             immediately. Even though I would prefer this, I can't wait for
             new IBIS spec version.

I don't see why my model is "debatebly" legal because nothing I did in it is

illegal according to the spec. The model makes sense if you think about
what it
describes and not about what the comments in the spec say regarding what the

Terminator models could be used for.

So we have a choice of fixing the spec, make legal (but "senseless"?
models), or
not have any models. Which one would you choose when the customer wants to
simulate and is pounding on the door for models?

Remember, this is an existing device and we should both be interested in
finding
a way to model it.

Arpad
====

Arpad,

I wonder if this is what it feels like to be an attourney?...

> In my opinion then, it would be perfectly legal (even if it makes no
sense)
> to have two pins in the pin list defined as "NC" while defining them as
> differential pairs in the [Diff Pin] section.

"EVEN IT MAKES NO SENSE" -- Abusing the spec in a insensible manner
promotes confusion and indicates that the spec should be revised to
either:

      A) eliminate the insensible use

          - don't use [Diff Pin] to assign a vdiff to a pair
            of "non-sensing" (excuse the pun) terminators.

      B) make the use sensible

          - Allow [Series Mapping] to be applied to a receiver
            as well as a terminator.

I don't think you should release a model that makes no sense even if
it's debatably "legal."

Chris