Re: IBIS BIRD64.1 - Package Model Selector

From: Mike LaBonte <mikelabonte@cadence.com>
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 11:49:17 PDT

To follow up on my comments on BIRD 64.1 at the IBIS forum
teleconference today, I would like to propose that:

1) The BIRD should declare scoping requirements
It is not stated where the [Package Model Selector] can appear
in an IBIS file, and to which [Component] it applies. We might
add a paragraph like:

Each [Package Model Selector] keyword specifies the set of
package models for only one component, which is given by
the previous [Component] keyword. The [Package Model Selector]
keyword may not appear before the first [Component] keyword
in an IBIS file.

2) [Package Model] and [Package Model Selector] are mutually exclusive
When [Package Model Selector] is used, [Package Model] makes
no sense. The [Package Model] keyword *could* give the name of
the default package model, but I agree with the idea of the
default as specified by the first [Package Model Selector] value.
We might add a paragraph like:

The appearance of the [Package Model Selector] keyword after
a [Component] keyword overrides any [Package Model] keyword
that may appear often the same [Component] keyword.

Concerning Roy Leventhal's comment on how [Package Model Selector]
might be used, I see 2 issues:

A) The assignable package models must have the same pinouts.
Although some die can be shipped in various packages, the physical
pin arrangements are often altered to accommodate each package.
The designs that incorporate these parts are routed differently.
A simulation tool might not be able to iterate through the
set of package models while maintaining consistency with the
design at hand. A part with both plastic and ceramic packages,
on the other hand, might be easily accommodated, assuming the
pinouts are the same.

B) A fully specified part name encompasses the package type.
Some companies may have model naming policies that require
model names to match manufacturer part numbers. But this
makes the model package-specific. A good example is ceramic
vs. plastic, where the manufacturer part numbers include
different package suffixes. In fact, the design environment
may count on package-specific model names, to assist with
associating parts with models. In this case, "radically"
different package models should not be assigned. But I don't
see this as a reason to not *allow* radically different package
models in a [Package Model Selector] list.

Mike LaBonte
Cadence Design Systems