[IBIS] Standard for BGA pin names in IBIS files

Subject: [IBIS] Standard for BGA pin names in IBIS files
From: Mike Ventham (ventham@quantic-emc.co.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 03:52:44 PDT

Greetings,

Is there a standard for BGA pin naming ?

The problem we have seen in doing simulations is that the layout
library has used A2 A3 A4 etc. while the IBIS model creator has used
A02 A03 or in some cases 0A02 0A03

This means when we try to match the pins up to connect the required
IBIS model to the right pin (an automatic process in the Omega PLUS
software) there is no pin name match and we have to edit the
IBIS file to remove the leading/middle zeroes.

Also can I appeal to the IBIS file creators to include all pins
of the component not just the I/Os. I have seen 100 pins components with 22
pins missing, grid arrays with only one power and ground pin when they
have lots.
If engineers have to spend time just getting the correct pins defined
they just get annoyed that the model creators have not bothered
putting the effort in. It's bad enough that some of the models require
editing just to get them to make them useful (as described by Roy
Leventhal and SiQual in their recent reviews of model quality).

Thanks for your attention,

Regards

Mike
| Mike Ventham - Vice-President Engineering, |
| Quantic EMC Inc. Headquarters |
| Croft House, Chilcompton, 191 Lombard Ave., Winnipeg,|
| Somerset, UK, BA3 4JA Manitoba, Canada R3B 0X1 |
| Tel: 44 (0)1761 232191 Tel: (204) 942 4000 |
| Fax: 44 (0)7974 141685 Fax: (204) 957 1158 |
| Mobile: 44 (0)7971 553260 |
| Email: ventham@quantic-emc.co.uk http://www.quantic-emc.com |