[IBIS] RE: [ibis-macro] Re: Minutes from the 26 Apr 2011 ibis-atm meeting Proposed

From: <colin_warwick@agilent.com>
Date: Thu Apr 28 2011 - 08:42:46 PDT

Hi All,

It seems to me that the purpose of a standard is to promote the creation of portable models. Why go to all the trouble of a long series of tense committee meetings between competitors otherwise? Portability comes at a price and that price is that it takes longer to incorporate innovation.

The definition of a portable model isn't just that it is syntactically compliant with the standard, it must also be semantically compliant in that it should give the same answer (within some acceptable accuracy) on all compliant simulators.

If an model contains proprietary extensions it is, by this definition, non-compliant because it is deliberately engineered to give a radically different answer (when run on a simulator with the matching proprietary capability) than a model without the extension. Why bother adding the extension otherwise? Sure, the model might run in a simulator without the matching proprietary capability, but clearly it will then give the wrong answer, which is worse than not running at all.

It doesn't matter whether the proprietary extensions are documented or undocumented by the originator, nor whether they are proposed as a BIRD or not, nor whether they have technical flaws or not: they are still outside of the ratified standard, therefore controlled only by the author (who could change it at will to match their latest simulator release), and therefore models that use it are de facto non-portable.

I have no objections to proprietary extensions. They have the advantage that innovation can be included quickly, but the disadvantage is that models that include them are non-portable.

So my point (and I do have one) is that models with proprietary extensions should not be labeled "compliant." That label should be reserved for portable models that are both syntactically and semantically compliant with the ratified standard of the time.

My $0.02

-- Colin