RE: [IBIS-Users] IBIS Imponderables

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] IBIS Imponderables
From: Matthew Flora (mflora@innoveda.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 12:48:23 PST

Dear Kim,

I'll stick my neck out ...

> 1. Why is a mismatch in the file name an error, rather than
> a warning? In fact, why does it matter at all?

At this point, just backwards compatibility with IBIS 1.0?

> 2. Why are only lowercase letters allowed in an IBIS file name?

To make life easier for files accessed across multiple platforms. Some
platforms are sensitive to the case of filenames, some are not. Name
collisions can occur when filenames on a case sensitive platform differ only
in case and those files are then transferred to or accessed from a case-
insensitive platform. Requiring all of one case gets around the problem.

> 3. Why are AC mismatches warnings rather than errors?

I have been told by a couple model builders who build models from
measurement
of actual parts that they have two different rigs for doing DC and AC
measurements. This is an example where the two measurements may not be in
exact agreement. The latest parser does generate an error when the
discrepancies become large.

> 4. Why does s2ibis2 appear to generate IBIS models
> with AC mismatches in the first place? (Judging
> from the number of IBIS models I've seen that
> used s2ibis2 and had such problems, it is
> apparently the norm.)

Sorry, I don't know.

Best regards,
Matthew Flora