RE: [IBIS-Users] pullup/pulldown range LVDS

Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] pullup/pulldown range LVDS
From: Mike LaBonte (milabont@cisco.com)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 12:35:59 PDT

MessageLet's clarify which curves we are flattening. Each characteristic
(high state V/I and low state V/I) is split up into 3 separate curves that
must be combined mathematically by the simulator, and the curves can have
overlapping voltage ranges. At each voltage point the simulator has to add
the current of all 3 curves. But at any given voltage, only 1 or 2 of the
curves has data. The simulator has to extrapolate the other curves to see
what their current would be at the given voltage, assuming the slope at the
end continues on. Alternatively it could assume zero current at all points
beyond the ends of the curves. But the right approach depends on what the
model generator had in mind. For example, s2ibis2 generates curves that
*usually* fall to zero current at the ends, and it "believes" that the
current remains at zero beyond the ends. If it produces curves that do not
fall to zero at the ends, the IBIS model does not work right when an
extrapolating simulator adds the curves together. The end flattening method
that Lynne presents is derived from the way of making it so that the same
result is achieved in either type of simulator, if the current falls to zero
at the end.

Given that, the 2 clamp curves should be flattened at the inner ends to zero
current and slope, and the pullup and pulldown curves should have some
non-zero slope as Andy suggests. Otherwise, current would be constant in the
region between the driver voltage swing and VCC, because the clamps
contribute nothing there. That is not realistic, and simulators might not do
the right thing. Continuing the last known slope is preferable, but if it
results in a final current value at -VCC and 2VCC that the parser doesn't
like, it seems like reducing the slope wouldn't hurt. After all, the
simulation is not expected to go there, and in fact the device is probably
not designed to go there. If a V/I point is altered (in a forest :-) and no
one simulates it, was it ever altered?

Mike LaBonte