Re: [IBIS-Users] BIRD 95 Comments.

From: Zhiping Yang <zhiping@cisco.com>
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 16:12:12 PST

Hi Peleg,

Thanks for your comments on our proposal.

Very good questions about the IBIS model capability in SSO simulation.
Since Syed has replied your questions on the BIRD95, I will try to answer
your questions on the IBIS itself.

Current version of IBIS could over-estimate or under-estimate the SSO noise
in the simulation when it is compared with HSPICE model. I will explain in
what conditions it will over-estimate and in what conditions it will
under-estimate.

Current IBIS model neglects the pre-driver current. If the predriver current
is relatively large (which is typical for very complicated I/O buffer at
0.13um process and below), the IBIS model will underestimate the SSO noise.

If the HSPICE model only include the last stage of the I/O buffer and there
are relatively large amount of on-die decaps are embedded in the HSPICE
model itself, the SSO simulation with IBIS model will overestimate the SSO
noise. This is the case that you already saw in your simulation. The first
reason for over-estimate is that IBIS simulator is very hard (I don't know
whether I should say impossible) to adjust the buffer driver strength due to
the voltage drop. A lot of IBIS simulators on the market will not adjust,
so the current is the same as the ideal power supply which is bigger than
nonideal power supply. The second reason is that on-die decap in the
HSPICE model could provide the high-speed current which is needed for
high-speed I/O switching. For current IBIS, it is not able to model the
on-die decap, so all the high-speed current has to come from the outside of
the I/O buffer, which could overestimate the I/O current when it is compared
to the HSPICE model.

If you have any questions on my explanations, please let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,

Zhiping