RE: [IBIS-Users] on-die termination ... one more time

From: Muranyi, Arpad <arpad.muranyi_ f rom>
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 11:51:15 PST
I would like to answer the question:  "what is the cause for this Warning".

The warning says that the I-V curve never reaches zero current.  Picture
this in your mind, and try to explain it what this means if you wanted to
implement a circuit that does this.

Let's try with a Thevenin circuit, a voltage source and a resistor.  The
I-V curve of this circuit is a straight line crossing the voltage axis
at the voltage of the Thevenin source.  (This is when the current is zero,
and the resistor has zero volts across it).  The fact that the I-V curves
of IBIS models usually cross the origin, or the Vcc voltage rail means
that the pullup and pulldown devices are tied to those voltages,
respectively.

An I-V curve that never crosses the voltage axis in the range you are
plotting, boils down to a circuit in which there is a device that pulls
to a voltage that is outside the voltage range you are plotting.  In IBIS
most I-V curves go from -Vcc to 2Vcc.  It would be difficult (but not
impossible) to make a circuit that pulls to a voltage outside that voltage
range.  That's why the parser gives you a warning for such I-V curves.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation