re: [IBIS-Users] Why is it necessary to take R_load/R_fixture, rather than taking only Capacitor(C_load) for V-T tables?

From: Lynne D. Green <lgreen22_at_.....>
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 13:33:58 PST

  _____

From: Lynne D. Green [mailto:lgreen22@mindspring.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 12:33 PM
To: 'bhavneet aujla'
Subject: RE: [IBIS-Users] Why is it necessary to take R_load/R_fixture,
rather than taking only Capacitor(C_load) for V-T tables?

Hello, Bhavneet,

Having worked on both ICs and PCBs, here is what I have learned of the
history:

PCBs are more sensitive to transmission line effects, because the traces are
long compared to an edge delay.  There is usually a reference plane
(ground/power) in the stackup, making the resistor in IBIS is a good model
for this transmission line.  In addition, SI algorithms can have simulation
problems if the V-t load is not resistive.

The lumped Cload in CMOS modeling is used to generate "cell" timing tables.
HOWEVER, above about 300 MHz, longer on-chip traces need to be modeled as LC
circuits with capacitive coupling, rather than just a lumped Cload.
Modeling traces as full transmission lines has been a hot topic for about
five years; the challenge is modeling without a ground plane (the CMOS
substrate being a highly-lossy plane).

Hope this helps.

Lynne

"IBIS training when you need it, where you need it."

Dr. Lynne Green
Green Streak Programs
http://www.greenstreakprograms.com
425-788-0412