Re: [IBIS-Users] IBIS - AMI - questions

From: Todd Westerhoff <twesterh_at_.....>
Date: Fri Jun 12 2009 - 15:00:35 PDT
Anad,

An IBIS-AMI simulation is performed in two pstages:

1) In the first stage, the _analog network_ is characterized to derive
an impulse response.  The analog network is defined as the _passive
network_ (everything between the pads) *and* the analog characteristics
of the transmitter's output (voltage, slew rate, output impedance,
capacitance) along with the receiver's input termination network.  The
traditional .ibs file can be used for this analysis.  This is called the
_analog portion_ of the IBIS-AMI model.  In truth, the existing .ibs
syntax falls a bit short of providing good broadband characterization of
the TX output and RX termination network, which is why SiSoft and IBM
are proposing enhancements to the standard ... but you get the idea.

2) Once the impulse response for the analog network has been derived,
the second part of IBIS-AMI simulation involves Channel Analysis, which
uses a new class of convolution-based simulation algorithms.  The
_algorithmic part_ of the IBIS-AMI model is supplied as a binary object
that is linked into the Channel Simulator and called at runtime.  the
IBIS-AMI standard covers what waveform types can be passed to / returned
by the Algorithmic Model, the details of the binary calling interface
and how control parameters are passed to the model.

There are a number of different analysis flows possible with IBIS-AMI
Algorithmic Models - more than I can get in to here.  High points:

Statistical Analysis: IBIS-AMI models can be used to perform a
linearized convolution analysis similar to StatEye, with models from
semiconductor vendors that represent actual IP.  Statistical Analysis is
extremely fast, and hundreds of simulations can be run in a few minutes.

Time-Domain Analysis - supports modeling of non-linear  equalization (RX
DFE) and time-varying behavior  (automatic tap adaptation algorithms,
clock recovery algorithms).  Simulation performance is on the order of
1,000,000 bits/ minute.

The free SiSoft IBIS-AMI toolkit includes the executable .dll, the .ibs
file and the .ami (algorithmic model control) file.  The standalone
simulator executes a single algorithmic model in a test bench
environment.  The standalone simulator does not use the analog model in
the .ibs file to derive the impulse response - you have to provide that
through other means.

Anand, I hope this provides an overview that helps put things in
context.  We're happy to discuss in more detail if you want.

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products
SiSoft