RE: [IBIS-Users] Requesting for some help / information regarding the use of IBIS in SI simulation.

From: Muranyi, Arpad <Arpad_Muranyi@mentor.com>
Date: Mon May 30 2011 - 22:05:33 PDT

C. K.,

R_pin, L_pin, C_pin are for modeling the package of a

chip on a pin per pin bases. These values override the

package R, L, C values in the [Package] keyword, because

these provide more accuracy. But these are still just a

lumped, uncoupled RLC model which is not very useful for

today’s very high frequencies.

You don’t have to “make use” of these values, the simulator

(hopefully) has support to include them in your simulation

for you. If not, you can read these values and write a

circuit manually into your simulation netlist.

Series models in IBIS allow you to connect various circuit

elements between two die-pads. These are called series

as opposed to buffers which are not “through” models.

I would recommend that you should look at the IBIS Cookbook

http://www.eda.org/ibis/cookbook/cookbook-v4.pdf which should

give you a lot of answers to questions like this.

Arpad