Re: voltage and temperature in corner cases

From: Christopher E. Reid <chris@icx.com>
Date: Wed Jul 16 1997 - 09:11:25 PDT

Jean,

The "worst case" depends entirely on what you are trying to measure
and the topology of your nets. There is no easy way to define
"worst case." However, some of your questions can be answered.

Most likely your simulator ignores the temperature variations.
The temperature range indicates a reasonable operating range
for the part, and is supposed to have some connection to min
and max corners, but there is no direct tie between the temperature
you choose and the model that gets simulated unless your simulator
specifically defines one, in which case you'd better ask the
simulator vendor what is intended.

If you want a weak driver then use the "min" of most everything,
but use the "max" C_comp.

If you want a high impedance receiver, you can figure out what
to use as well as anyone.

If you want the "worst case" for a particular net, all bets are
off. If by worst case you mean the most ringing, or the longest
time to "final settle", then that depends on the net topology
as well as the driver and receiver characteristics. For example,
if you are using a balanced topology, say a star, then the worst
case is probably unbalanced receivers, some high impedance, some
low impedance.

There is no easy answer, although there is some theory behind this
which can be used to get an idea of what might be "worst case."

The only way to be sure is to run a Monte-Carlo type variation
of all the drivers and receivers, not to mention process variations
on you board, actual lengths of lines, etc.

Christopher Reid
Interconnectix
http://www.icx.com