Re: [IBIS] IBIS-ISS Package Modeling Status/Overview

From: Lynne C. Green <lgreen22@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu Jul 19 2012 - 14:37:48 PDT

Interesting conversation going on.

History: One package model has been codified as .pkg. A specific
interface was addressed by adding "dynamic" keywords. [External
Circuit] and [External Model] might have some of the desired features,
except IBIS assumes there must be a pin model between the I/O pad and
the external circuit.

Having been an I/O designer, an EDA engineer, and an IBIS model
reviewer, these questions come to my humble mind. Maybe they will help
stir the pot.
Question 1: Could one of the existing package syntax approaches be
used/extended?
Question 2: If not, what is fundamentally missing? How is the missing
info related to SI/PI simulation? Could info unrelated to simulation be
entered as comments for use by other tools?
Question 3: Is it time to drop the assumption that every pad has a
package pin, to allow package descriptions using [External Circuit],
SPICE, or other IBIS-supported syntax?
Question 4: If keywords/subparams must be added, what is the most
"generic" approach to address as many I/O interfaces as possible? Where
within the IBIS model/package structure would these keywords fit?

It has been fun to see IBIS philosophy being addressed.
:-)

Cheers,
Lynne

"IBIS training when you need it, where you need it."

Dr. Lynne Green
Green Streak Programs
http://www.greenstreakprograms.com
425-788-0412