Re: Initial Help

From: <gedlund@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 05:59:46 PST

As an IBIS user and developer, I would strongly recommend

1) correlating IBIS-based behavioral simulations with HSPICE simulations
for a given set of test circuits, and
2) correlating HSPICE simulations with hardware.

There are some I/O circuit designs whose electrical behavior s2ibis2 will
miss. Here's a list of things that you should watch out for: multi-stage
drivers, dynamic clamping, dynamic impedance or edge rate control, any kind
of feedback, and stored charge effects. Some of these things are covered
by IBIS 3.2, and some of them are not. Sometimes you'll also find things
in hardware that aren't in your HSPICE model, for various reasons.

Item one above will be easier to accomplish than item two, which involves
adding some extra circuitry to your component characterization test bed. A
few years ago a group of IBIS users got together and tried to spec some of
these things. Have a look at the IBIS web page under "accuracy," and
you'll find a document that addresses the topic of correlation. It's not
any official spec, but it does have some pretty helpful background
information. I'd also strongly recommend documenting your correlation
results in a format that your users can quickly digest.

Speaking from experience, a behavioral model can seem simple at first
glance. You may actually get IBIS code from s2ibis2 in less than a day.
However, there can be many little gotchas that you won't find until you do
the correlation work.

Greg Edlund
Advisory Engineer, Critical Net Analysis
IBM
3650 Hwy. 52 N, Dept. HDC
Rochester, MN 55901
gedlund@us.ibm.com