Re: removing non-monotonic points?!

Subject: Re: removing non-monotonic points?!
From: Scott McMorrow (scott@vasthorizons.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 08:50:38 PST

Arpad,

We are all in agreement that the ibis checker should be fixed to report
non-monotonicity in the summed curves, also.

It is our experience that when these points come well below or above the
voltage rails, say 800 mV above or below the rail, they just do not
matter. For an output to achieve an extreme voltage this far below the
rail while operating would be quite extraordinary. We have yet to see a
real device in a real system where the output is pulled this far below
ground. For normal device operation, this non-monotonic behavior (which
also often does show up in the summation) will never be seen. It is
perfectly acceptable to smooth out the curves as we do.

In our spice to ibis process, we perform this data smoothing in the
non-monotonic output curves below and above the rails, and then perform
a correlation to the original spice models in a real circuit with
reflected waves, to be sure that under normal operating conditions the
model is still faithful and accurate.

Theoretically, it does matter what the curves do 700 mV below the ground
rail and above the power (or clamp) rail. But as a practical matter, it
does not alter real simulations one iota. For my money, anything can be
done to a simulation model, as long as the approximation results in
accuracy that is accurate enough for the work we are doing.
The easiest way to check this is to compare simulations with the
original spice, or to compare the results to measurements.

best regards,

scott

--
Scott McMorrow