[IBIS-Users] How to replace RLC package

From: <Radovan.Vuletic_at_.....>
Date: Thu Mar 23 2006 - 08:15:26 PST
Hi experts,

once again (almost) the same question, but now other way around ...

Recently I am getting lot of pressure to figure out how (in which format) to generate reasonable package model for IBIS models of our components.

Possible solutions:
==============
1.) [Sparse Matrix] - contra: tools that generate [Sparse Matrix] models can't generate models for multidrop networks (i.e. one pin one the input, more than one pads on output), sloppy support from simulation tools
2.) ICM - contra: no available tool for automated extraction (and nobody wants to do it manually :-(((()
3.) Simple RLC parameters - contra: no information about cross-coupling RLC elements (coupling capacitances, mutual inductances, etc.)

Workaround: use HSpice model of package, but how to "connect" it with IBIS model?

IBIS 4.1 provides new keywords [External Circuit], [End External Circuit], [External Model], [End External Model] [Node Declarations], [End Node Declarations], [Circuit Call] and [End Circuit Call] to support multi-lingual models - nice!
Main question:
Is there a possibility to replace package description in [Pin] section of [Component] with some [External Circuit] or [External Model] or [Node Declarations]?
So what I want to do is to replace:
[Pin]  signal_name   model_name    R_pin        L_pin       C_pin

A1     VDD           POWER          210m       4.07nH      0.27pF
A2     NF            NF_INPUT       168m       2.70nH      0.19pF
.
.
.
T8     VSS           GND            127m       1.45nH      0.23pF
T9     VSSQ          GND            151m       2.18nH      0.13pF

With a call to HSpice netlist

[Circuit Call]
Pointer to HSpice model of package
[End Circuit Call]

Or

[External Circuit]
Pointer to HSpice model of package
[End External Circuit]

Allows IBIS 4.1 something like that - is IBIS 4.1 planed for something like that at all?

When  I take a look (please see below) on a Figure 1 provided in IBIS specs, I am not sure that it is possible.

| The placement of these keywords within the hierarchy of IBIS is shown in the
| following diagram:
|

|   |-- [Component]
|   |   | ...
|   |   |-- [Node Declarations]
|   |   |-- [End Node Declarations]
|   |   | ...
|   |   | ...
|   |   |-- [Circuit Call]
|   |   |-- [End Circuit Call]
|   |   | ...
|   | ...
|   |-- [Model]
|   |   | ...
|   |   |-- [External Model]
|   |   |-- [End External Model]
|   |   | ...
|   | ...
|   |-- [External Circuit]
|   |-- [End External Circuit]
|   | ...

Has anybody some idea about it?

Many thanks for every answer!

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / S po¹tovanjem
Radovan Vuletiæ

Infineon Technologies AG
MP PD PDE
MUC/10.2.236 AP 3