RE: [IBIS-Users] Extract IBIS data from lab measurement

From: Muranyi, Arpad <Arpad_Muranyi@mentor.com>
Date: Tue Nov 23 2010 - 07:57:44 PST

Yuanchen,

I would suggest that you measure your clamp I-V curves

with a sweep that starts from 0 V going in the negative

direction or from Vcc going in the positive direction.

This way you don't begin the sweep and blow the chip at

the beginning of the sweep.

I would also suggest that you use a curve tracer which

can get the measurement done in one sweep (as opposed to

repetitive sweep to get multiple points) because that

way the chip doesn't heat up so much, and you can sweep

out to any voltage (if you can allow yourself to blow

the chip while you do this), but you will still get good

data until the chip blew up.

The other thin g you have to keep in mind is that you

need a power supply that can sink and source the current.

Most supplies can only do one, which means that they

regulate against the load pulling the voltage between GND

and Vcc together, but they don't regulate against the

load pushing the voltage apart (in other words pushing

Vcc up from GND). When you measure the clamping diodes

on the Vcc side, you are actually pulling the Vcc voltage

up with the curve tracer, and if your supply can't hold

Vcc down, the Vcc voltage will "float" upward while you

do your sweep. This will come across as a much weaker

diode current reading in your measurement...

Arpad