Re: Clarifing example for Packaging EGG

From: C. Kumar <cpk@cadence.com>
Date: Fri May 05 1995 - 12:08:01 PDT

Here is an example of "spice" description of the package

> ____
> |-------- Pin1 sig1
> |-------- Pin2 sig2
> |-------- Pin3 GND
> |-------- Pin5 sig5
> |-------- Pin6 sig6
> |-------- Pin7 sig7
> |-------- Pin8 PWR
> |-------- Pin9 sig9
> |-------- Pin10, sig10
> ____|

The top level subckt is a black box of external terminals

 Die10--- | |-------- Pin10, sig10
>_ |___ ____|

The subcircuit called "package" has the following form:

.subckt Package Die1......Die10 Pin1....Pin10
[Subcircuit description]
.ends Package

the subciruit is simply a black box with external terminals.
The [Subcircuit description] can in turn be composed of hierarchichal subcircuits.

The key points here are

1 - We are borrowing a way of describing networks in the form of subcircuits
from spice which is elegant, simple and completely flexible.

2. IBIS does not and probably should not mandate what is contained inside the
subcircuits. The subcircuit descriptions can be as complex or simple and it is
totally left to the model developer.

3. The only convention the subcircuit has to obey is the EXTERNAL terminals
 naming convention. For example the names Pin1 and Die1 has to mean something
in IBIS.

4. I want to emphasize it is not even necessary for us to invent a coupled
transmission line description. Because the model developer can create
a equivalent coupled transmission line description using
sectioned lines containing mutual
inductors and capacitors. However it may be nice if an acceptable coupled
line description can be standardized.

Let us follow an example of the subcircuit.

 Let us say that the pins are described like in
the example shown by Stephen

DIE--@@@@@@@@--ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ--zzzzzzz

Let us assume Pins 1-3 are coupled and all other pins are simple lumped inductances

Top Level:
The package subcircuit completely describes this package

.subckt Package Die1......Die10 Pin1....Pin10
X1 Die1 Die2 Die3 Pin1 Pin2 Pin3 SingleAndCoupledLines
L4 Die4 Pin4 4.2nh
L10 Die10 Pin10 4.2nh
.ends Package

.subckt SingleAndCoupledLines Die1 Die2 Die3 Pin1 Pin2 Pin3
* Single transmission lines
T11 Die1 0 1 0 td=0.5n z0=50
T22 Die2 0 2 0 td=0.45n z0=70
T33 Die3 0 3 0 td=0.4n z0=100

* coupled line
X 1 2 3 Pin1 Pin2 Pin3 CoupledLine
.ends SingleAndCoupledLines

.subckt CoupledLine A B C Pin1 Pin2 Pin3
* sample coupled line
TCoupled A 0 B 0 C 0 Pin1 0 Pin2 0 Pin3 0 Rlgc=3lineRlgcData Length=0.001m
,Data RLGC 3lineRlgcData
.RMATRIX
4.0 0 0
0 4.0 0
0 0 4.0
.LMATRIX
420nh 10n 0.8n

---
---
.CMATRIX
---
--
.end Data RLGC
.ends  CoupledLine
An alternate form of coupled line uses mutual inductances and capacitances
.subckt AlternateCoupledLine 11 21 31 Pin1 Pin2 Pin3
* 3 sections of line
X1 11 21 31 12 22 32 CoupledSection
X2 12 22 32 13 23 33 CoupledSection
X3 13 23 33 Pin1 Pin2 Pin3 CoupledSection
.ends AlternateCoupledLine
.subckt  CoupledSection 1 2 3 1out 2out 3out
r1 1 11 0.001
l1 11 1out 1.2n
k 1 2 0.02
cmut 1 2 0.3p